[Cdt-l] National Scenic Trail Status

Jeff Hunt jeff.hunt at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 13:49:10 CDT 2008

Hi, I'm looking for some information on the history of the CDT trail,
specifically how one begins the process of seeking National Scenic Trail
status. I and a few others have an interest in developing such an idea here
in Texas. Some details are here <http://hillcountrytrail.org>
I did a feasibility study comparing the proposed trail route to a much
longer existing one (AT) in terms of census data like population density
etc. Now at this point I'd like to begin to try to interest local officials
in this topic, but first wanted to gather my facts about what the steps are
to get at trail idea in front of the government. The CDT is a much different
and grander trail than this proposed one of 33 miles, as well I'm sure much
of the CDT is built on national or public land which there's not much of in
Texas, but any information might carry over. Thanks