[Cdt-l] Today's Best gps

Rod rbelshee at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 27 20:26:17 CDT 2008

I used the Garmin Vista CX in '07.

The electronic compass is useless. It sucks batteries dry, takes longer to power up than my regular compass and is less accurate.

The barometer?. While I saw the pressure go up and down a bunch, it didn't always correlate to the incoming weather. So I tended to ignore it anyway. Maybe I'm just not smart enough. The altimeter function was handy for navigating on a map, if I could make out the tiny brown numbers on Ley's maps.

I popped in a 1GB flash card, so had all the topo maps for the western US, and room for water source waypoints, etc. That was very handy.

Chip sensitivity? I have the older standard chip and rarely couldn't get a signal. But, yeah go the best available now.

Screen size is good; weight is bad; your call.

I opted for a unit with standard AA batteries so they would be easy to resupply. It turned out that I was quite frugal in using the GPS and two and a half sets of lithium batteries covered the whole five months. Alkalines or rechargeables have lower amp-hour ratings, so your mileage may vary.

Steady