[Cdt-l] GPS and Maps (howzit done?)

Jack Haskel norcalhiker at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 10:17:17 CST 2009

Thanks for the great info ya'll.

I assume that everyone uses the Topo 24k maps right? Or are people talking about loading the Topo 100k and just using that?

The 24k seems like it'd be the functional option, as it's a much more detailed scale. But that's the expensive route. I don't quite understand the advice on not buying the preloaded micro-sd cards. It's the same price to buy it as a download, or buy it as a preloaded card. And that price mysteriously changed from $99 yesterday to $86 each today. Is there a benefit to not buying the preloaded cards?

I'm a pretty experienced GPS user, although I don't have much experience with a mapping GPS. I waypointed the entire PCT (my track is at backpacker.com/pct) and used one to navigate for a few years as a wilderness guide. I totally agree, GPS is more confusing that it needs to be!

     Cheers,
          Jack