[Cdt-l] GPS and Maps (howzit done?)

Jim Eagleton eagleton at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 9 17:25:47 CST 2009

In 2008, I hiked with the Colorado 400t.  This was an extravagant model at the time, but I suspect the Oregon (or maybe the Colorado) should become more popular next season.  The Colorado came preloaded with the 100k maps, and the 24K maps were not available yet.  One annoying thing is that the preloaded maps could not be uploaded to my computer, and I had to buy another copy to see my tracks on a map.  I wish I had bought my unit and practiced with it a little before my trip.  I never figured how to save my tracks to the card (without erasing the old tracks.)

It sounds to me like the Vista / 24k map combo will not be a popular combo unless the maps become cheap.  To make use of the 24k maps you probably want the larger screen of the Oregon/Colorado.

I would recommend a screen protector for any screen.  Mine scratched in the first few days, and then stayed pretty constant the rest of the way.

Jim