[Cdt-l] Nobo use of Wolf Guides

Dylan Carlson carlsods at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 16:35:02 CST 2009

Heading northbound, I used the Wolf Guides (somewhat useful) and Ley Maps
(indispensable.)

Reading the guidebooks backward was a pain, but completely do-able.  I found
the sections regarding water in NM especially useful.

Moreover, the cultural and historical notes in the Wolf Guides were quite
interesting.  I enjoyed learning about the area I was hiking through.

Overall, however, if had it to do over again, I WOULD NOT purchase the Wolf
Guides.  At $100+ dollars, they are less useful than Jonathan Ley's free
maps.  You would be better off investing that money in a GPS or forest
service maps.

Finally, in case it hasn't been drilled into you yet, DO NOT purchase the
"official" CDTA guidebooks.

Good luck,
Dylan Carlson
CDT nobo 2009