[Cdt-l] GPS and Maps

Marshall Karon m.karon at comcast.net
Sat Dec 12 11:32:48 CST 2009

I sure wish I had taken such training before heading out on the CDT. I was
rotten at map/compass reading and didn't really know how to use the GPS
effectively. But, hey, I got back home. But, my enjoyment would have been a
lot greater with those skills and the correct mental attitude - I hate being
lost (or feeling I was lost).

And yet, realize that the maps you have are not always going to be
up-to-date nor will the most current trail be on the maps. So you sometimes
need to visualize the trail as you are on it. For me, the GPS helped.

As for comparing the AT and PCT to the CDT, route finding is way different.
On those trails you often have to try to get off the trail. Only if you
follow the crowds, best trail, or blazes thinking they always mark the trail
you want will you get misplaced (I've done all of those). On the CDT, often
there are no trail markers or they exist at the beginning and end of
sections with no junction markings. The GPS is just another tool. Many folks
do just fine without it - and it wasn't available until recently.

And as for relying on things - how about your resupply drops with maps in
them - or food - or equipment. Or your watch, camera, flashlight - all take
batteries. All part of the adventure.

Marshall Karon
Portland, OR