[Cdt-l] GPS and Maps

Dylan Carlson carlsods at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 11:20:13 CST 2009

Yes, there are some who hike without a GPS.  I DID NOT CARRY A GPS - it
seemed too heavy, too expensive, and too fallible.

But when I was hiking on the CDT with people who did have a GPS, it was sure
handy to use it in a few situations.

Bottom line: The CDT will remain poorly marked for many more years.
 Everyone hiking the CDT needs to carry topo maps, a compass, and the
knowledge of how to use them.  GPS is an optional supplement for those who
are uncomfortable with their map reading skills, or the idea of losing the
trail.

Honestly, you will get lost either way.  And that's part of the experience.
 Good luck,

Dylan Carlson
Nobo CDT 2009

Message: 3