[Cdt-l] A controversial subject: The CDT-L is awful.

Jonathan Ley jonathan at phlumf.com
Sun Dec 13 15:17:19 CST 2009

Jack,

I know what you "mean" - sure there are better ways to communicate &
disseminate information these days. However, the listserve / e-mail
format does have some advantages.. Nearly everyone gets e-mail already,
so they're more likely to actually read/notice the messages. Though, I
suppose you could achieve the same thing with a forum that automatically
e-mailed you for any new post... The volume on the CDT-L isn't huge (at
least usually...), so it tends not to clutter people's in-boxes.

There is very little "overhead" - It works well for people who are
actually out hiking and using text-only / e-mail-only devices... though,
I guess those types of devices are less ubiquitous now. It also works
well for people with dialup... Of which, there are probable more than
you might think in the CDT-hiker demographic.

I think some people "reply to sender only" because that's what they
intend to do... it's like a way to send a private message.

There are a variety of forums "out there" as well... and you'd think if
those were better, people would simply gravitate to them. But for
whatever reason, the CDT-L has turned into "the place" to go...

There is an archive of recent messages here:
http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/cdt-l/
Though, as you said, the search capabilities are not great... But, you
can click to "view by thread" for any particular month... which will at
least give you some idea about what people have been discussing.

-Jonathan