[Cdt-l] no controversy... Re: Cdt-l Digest, Vol 27, Issue 21

Tom McGinnis sloetoe at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 14 12:21:55 CST 2009

Jonathan --
Your kind and diplomatic response downplays the fashion-driven nature of the original post. This forum is not Microsoft, and does not need updating based upon a calendar, does not need complexity for complexity's sake, nor make-work solutions driving bandaid work-arounds to poorly laid architecture. As you note, the listserv protocol has a small footprint, refined for reliability, and puts each conversation on a public footing, rather than shuttling off different conversations to little sub-sets of listeners. The naiveté of thinking a different or newer platform is actually a universal *betterment* for this sort of use is demonstrated by the (protested) fact that similar groups have *not* moved en mass to forum architecture. There's no controversy *because* there's no need. (Oh, and for the record, I use an alcohol stove, walk in Norwegian welts, sleep in down, don't filter or chemo-blast, and always carry a compass, too.)

sloetoe