[Cdt-l] finding a function's definition from a call - water crossings

cicelyb250 at aol.com cicelyb250 at aol.com
Thu Dec 17 08:52:01 CST 2009

I'm 5ft 6 inches and 60 -61 when I did the CDT in 2008-2009.  For the
Gila, I wore sturdy tennis shoes and kept them on all day since I was  crossing
the river constantly.   Heavy, but safe.  I noticed many  hikers used crocs
for the water.  When I finished in 2009 (Lincoln,  Montana to Canada) I used
crocs.  They worked like a charm.  Hiked a  bit in them in parts of the Bob
Marshall where there were river crossings within  several hundred yards.
Normally I hike in hiking boots since my feet and  ankles are crappy.  Many,
many hikers use some sort of trail shoe and  keep them on for rivers and
trail.  Of course Billy Goat is famous for  crossing rivers by wearing socks
lined by his liners.  If it's a nice sandy  river bottom bare feet are ok too.
I am a fisherman and learned early on that when the water is swift - turn
and face the current.  Shuffle sideways across the water.  Feels and  sounds
strange, but you are less likely to be swept off your feet.  With  two
poles and two feet, keep 3 planted while you move the fourth.  Slow,  but safe
for this timid old hiker.  Take your time and "read" the  river.  What looks
like a good crossing may or may not be.
Maybe I just hit it right, but I found fewer scary crossings on the CDT
than I did on the PCT.  In hiking season, most rivers in Glacier have nice
suspension bridges across them!
CicelyB