[Cdt-l] Snowshoes

Jonathan Ley jonathan at phlumf.com
Wed Dec 23 20:00:49 CST 2009

A couple quick thoughts on snowshoes vs. skis on the CDT... I agree that
skis would work well in many cases, and could save you considerable
effort. But, snowshoes are generally lighter and easier to take on/off
and store/carry. Plus, you can strap snowshoes onto any type of shoe...
whereas with skis, you need a special shoe or boot. If your path takes
you over miles of snow, then over miles of trail, back to snow, and a
mix in-between, I think it'd be a lot easier to manage everything with
some snowshoes.

Also, snowshoes take basically zero skill, and chance for injury is low.
If you're faced with a steep uphill or downhill on skis, you really need
to know what you're doing, lest you smack a tree, snap a knee or worse.
Snowshoes also work in a greater variety of snow conditions. If you're
faced with a crust of jagged ice covering 5 feet of slop underneath, or
really bad suncups (not an uncommon situation in late spring / early
summer), it can be really hard to turn on skis...

I've been really happy with MSR snowshoes. Their Lightning Ascent's are
lighter than their plastic ones. The nice thing about all of them is
that they hold an edge from any direction, and are more durable than
some lighter varieties.