[Cdt-l] Planning a CDT Hike

Chris Willett CWillett at pierce.ctc.edu
Wed Jan 21 09:24:07 CST 2009

You need proof of citizenship to enter the country now. That means a
passport or a DL AND birth certificate. The shuttle will also take you to
the Chief Mountain border crossing where you can enter the park without
entering Canada. Many thruhikers take this because the route is a bit less
snowed in.

If you go into Waterton, you can get a permit from the Waterton warden
station, which is across from the POW hotel. This is a bit easier because
you just choose your campsites and they call it in to the Glacier people.
You don¹t have to watch a bear movie and they don¹t lecture you about how
dangerous your itinerary is. You clear customs at the Goat Haunt Ranger
station, which really just means the dude with the gun tries to look
menacing and see if you squirm. If you don¹t, he doesn¹t even bother to look
at your documents.

Suge