[Cdt-l] All Done

Chris Willett CWillett at pierce.ctc.edu
Wed Jul 15 12:26:28 CDT 2009

All sad as it is to say, I'm getting off the CDT here in Dillon. As some of you know, my mother has cancer and was diagnosed just before I left back in June. The cancer is treatable via surgery and the date has finally been set for next week. This was the most convenient place for me to get off the trail and head to Chicago. I don't know how long the recovery period will be and given the difficulty of getting back to to this part of the trail, I think this is it for me for the CDT this summer. I might come back next summer, or the next, for a Leadore to Colorado section. I'm a bit bummed about leaving the trail early, not so much because I haven't gotten to some particular point, but rather because I really enjoy the process of hiking. I like the area, I like the locals I've met, I like the wildlife, I like being here. Leaving is hard, but necessary. For those of you with a memory, the last time I set out for the CDT I was also hit with bad news right before starting and that news eventually drove me off the trail early as well. The difference this time is that I've loved my time on the trail. Best of luck to all the remaining hikers. I'm not sure what I'll be doing for the rest of the summer, but am thinking about buying a bike and riding home to Washington from Chicago. So, maybe I'll see some hikers along the way.

Peace,

Suge

Suge