[Cdt-l] I am looking for a loop (5-6 days/12-16 miles/day)...

Karl Luce k_luce at comcast.net
Wed Jul 29 13:13:20 CDT 2009

Hey Dan Keyser,

I would suggest the Vasquez Peak Wilderness loop that I have been looking at
but haven't done yet.  It incorporates part of the CDT and should take 4
days (maybe 3 if you walk real fast).  One day will involve some backroad
walking.  Best map to get for this loop is TI 103 (Winter Park, Central
City, Rollins Pass), use the West Side.

Park car up FR 148.  Use backroads to get to base of Byers Peak ridge.  Take
St. Louis Divide Trail around the St. Louis Creek valley.  Join up with CDT
along Mt. Nystrom Trail.  Take CDT back to above Berthoud Pass.  (I
recommend going off trail here to climb Vasquez Peak, well worth it if the
weather is good.)  Then continue north on Mt. Nystrom trail to Winter Park
Ski Area and find your way back to FR 148.

There are numerous loops to be done in the Indian Peaks as well.  These
would definitely fit in the 4-6 day time range.   Parking is a bitch at
Hessie or 4th of July THs.  Recommend TI 102 (Indian Peaks, Gold Hill) to
investigate these.

Karl