[Cdt-l] sneak peek: ALDHA-West Gathering, September 25-27

Jackie McDonnell yogihikes at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 01:18:53 CDT 2009

Get ready for the 2009 ALDHA-West Gathering!  This year’s Gathering is at
Camp Arrah Wanna, in Welches OR, September 25-27.  Our 2006 Gathering was at
Arrah Wanna, and we’re excited to return to this camp.  It’s an easy
one-hour drive from the Portland airport, and only a 30-minute drive from
Timberline Lodge.  The camp is beautiful and the accommodations are perfect:
lodging is in cabins, and the dining hall is separate from the presentation
building.  The AV equipment is terrific!

We’re working on an exciting schedule of events.  Here’s a little preview of
what we’ve lined up so far:

SCOTT WILLIAMSON - Scott will give his perspective on the PCT over the years
and what it has meant to him, and discuss some of the threats to the PCT and
efforts to preserve and protect it, whether it be with volunteering or
simple things one can do while out hiking on it.  Scott says, “This trail in
many ways is my home and thus I hold it close to my heart, more than just a
place to do speed records, yo-yo's or any of that. Those are just excuses to
be on it!"

ANDREW SKURKA - Andrew will explore  The New Frontier of Long-Distance
Hiking: Long-Distance Adventuring.  Andrew says, “The area that I think is
ripe for further exploration is in this ‘long-distance adventuring’ sphere,
which depends much less (or not at all) on established trails or published
guidebooks, introduces new techniques for wilderness travel (e.g.
packrafting and backcountry skiing), and accesses areas of the country that
long-distance hikers historically have ignored.  My presentation will
provide an overview of this evolution in long-distance backpacking, share
some of the recent experiences that I’ve had, and identify further
opportunities that I think hikers will find rewarding."
www.andrewskurka.com

DOUG SCOTT - Doug is the Policy Director for the Campaign for America’s
Wilderness (www.leaveitwild.org), a past Deputy Director for the Sierra Club
and has also worked for the Wilderness Society.  He has written two books
about America’s Wilderness System ("The Enduring Wilderness" and "Our
Wilderness:  America’s Common Ground"), and quite literally has been
involved personally with about half of the 700 wilderness bills passed since
1964.  Doug will speak about his involvement in protecting America’s
Wilderness and the impact of the Omnibus Public Land Management Act of 2009,
which is the most significant conservation measure to be enacted by Congress
in the last 15 years.  Among its many provisions, this omnibus bill
permanently codifies the National Landscape Conservation System; creates two
million new acres of wilderness across 9 states; establishes 3 new National
Park units; designates 1,000 miles of wild and scenic rivers; designates a
National Monument and 3 National Conservation Areas; protects world-class
hunting land in the Wyoming Range; and recognizes new Historic Sites and
Heritage Areas.

BRICE HAMMACK’S GEAR SWAP/SALE - Triple Crown Hiker Brice Hammack will host
a gear swap/sale.  Bring your gently used gear to swap/sell, and bring a
friend who is in the market to acquire good equipment reasonably priced!

TRIPLE CROWN AWARDS - The highlight of the ALDHA-West Gathering is the
Triple Crown Awards Ceremony!  We honor those intrepid souls who have had
the unique opportunity to hike America’s three long trails: the Appalachian
Trail, the Pacific Crest Trail, and the Continental Divide Trail.  This
emotional ceremony, filled with laughter and tears, will be something you’ll
remember for many years.  www.aldhawest.org/Triple/default.asp

BACKPACKER OLYMPICS - Think you’re a bear bagging all-star?  Been known to
eat an entire bag of mini-snickers in one sitting?  Can you pitch your
shelter in under 10 seconds … even in a torrential downpour?  If so you have
a chance to win the gold in the 1st annual ALDHA-West Backpacker Olympics at
this year’s Gathering!  Bring your tent, bear canister, and honed
backcountry skills, and sign up for this very fun, weekend-long multi-event!

TRAIL WORK PARTY - You hike it, you love it, now dig it!  Join a PCTA work
party on Friday September 25, dig in the dirt alongside other great folks,
and protect the trail from erosion.  No experience necessary.  We provide
all equipment, training, and possibly even homemade biscotti.  You get the
satisfaction of a meaningful contribution to our national scenic
treasure.  Pre-registration
required so we know how many hard hats and tools to provide.  Project time
will start around 9am and return to the Gathering around 4pm.  Please
contact crew leader Roberta Cobb at trillium97 at hotmail.com for details and
to sign up.

Well, that’s just a peek at what you’ll experience at this year’s ALDHA-West
Gathering.  Register now here:
www.aldhawest.org/Gathering/default.asp .  You’ll
get a discount if you register by September 8, 2009.  Hurry!  Register now
before you forget!!  Mark your calendar:  the Gathering is September 25-27,
2009.

We look forward to seeing you there!

Heather Anderson

Jackie McDonnell