[Cdt-l] Cumbres northwards question

Chris Pratt CPRATT at dot.state.tx.us
Fri Jun 5 18:04:20 CDT 2009

Another option is as you you walk from cumbres pass toward the NF campground (about halfway) you will have a logging/NF road on the left. If you follow it and always go to the left (uphill) you will be able to either work around the blowdowns or end up at the logging operations area and be able to pick up the CDT on the ridgeline above the blow downs. I've sorta got lost/misplaced in this area and followed a bunch of old logging roads once when I lost the trail. All in all the CDT is on the highest point and the alternate trail is at the bottom.  The ridge route is prettier the lower route is easier (if the snow has melted enough out of the trees).

The logging operation is working on removing the thousands of dead trees killed by the beetles.

If you can make it through it is certainly worth the effort.

Chris