[Cdt-l] "Ohhhh, Poncho!" Re: Cdt-l Digest, Vol 18, Issue 10

Todd DeLuca todddeluca at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 14:19:00 CDT 2009

Hi,

I am also considering a poncho on the CDT this year and I am hoping
all the poncho wearers and former poncho wearers can help me answer
some questions.

Do you have any experience, good or bad, with the poncho covering hip
and shoulder strap pouches?  This seems like a little mentioned
benefit.

Do you wear rain pants with your poncho?  Wind pants?  Skirt?
Anything?  (Not counting hike naked day, naturally.)

What kind of poncho do/did you wear, and what would you recommend?  I
currently have an Equinox Poncho/Tarp that I have not used enough to
know its merits, though I'm working on fixing that deficit.

Why would you NOT use a poncho as a pack cover?  It seems like the
perfect pack cover.  But then again my regular pack cover seemed
perfect on my Osprey until I used it on my Vapor Trail, only to have
my bag get soaked.

Does anyone use a poncho just as a poncho, and carry a separate
shelter, or is everyone motivated by the immense weight savings of
combining shelter and raingear?

Any answers to these burning questions would be much appreciated.

Personally my wife and I plan on carrying a separate shelter, possibly
a Six Moon Designs Refuge.  The poncho looks like it would save weight
over a rain jacket, pack cover, and rain pants, with the added benefit
of being a pack cover that actually works (though I'm beginning to
wonder...) and covering shoulder and hip strap pouches.

Yours,
Reason
http://heyluca.com