[Cdt-l] Fwd: See SPOT run...

Jonathan Ley jonathan at phlumf.com
Fri Dec 3 10:48:20 CST 2010

I'm not sure I understand the animosity to technology... I mean,
goretex, nylon, pop-tarts... they're all only possible because of very
complex technology. So are all the maps and other trail navigation
information anyone produces. As for being connected - people have online
journals they update at each town stop - sometimes each day. They have
cell phones... Isn't a SPOT just a better implementation of a
cell/satellite phone? People don't complain too much about being
connected via e-mail or cell phones (well, some do), so what magical
threshold does a SPOT cross? Should we all be wearing animal skins, and
eating game we shot with our bow & arrow? Writing journals in caves with
finger paint?

These are all tools. Sure, they can turn into a crutch or be abused like
any other tool, but they can also be life-savers. I've seen similar
arguments about avalanche beacons (and we'll likely hear those all again
this winter). In all these cases, there seems to be one constant - your
most important equipment is inside your skull.  Any tool can be abused
by a moron who doesn't know how to use it. If someone presses the SPOT
button because they have a blister, or gets hypothermic because they
wrongly thought their new jacket will protect them, or wanders across a
dangerous avalanche path because they thought a beacon would save
them... the fault isn't with the tool, it's with the person using it.

Personally, I probably wouldn't use a SPOT on the CDT just because I'm
cheap, and don't feel like carrying yet another thing. Instead, I'd make
sure that someone (someone who isn't paranoid) had my itinerary, and I'd
check in at each stop... I think that's what most people do. But, I
could envision taking a trip to more remote locales where a SPOT would
be welcome... and I'd be happy to hike on the CDT with someone who had a
SPOT - heck, more insurance, and I don't have to pay or carry the thing.