[Cdt-l] April, 2011 Start and SNOW

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Mon Dec 20 19:13:16 CST 2010

Rich,

I started the CDT March 1st, 1980, and hit a wall of snow just out of Chama. I was prepared and trained and got all my snow gear and headed toward Wolf Cr. Pass, only to turn around and go back because it was too difficult. We had good weather while we were in (along the "trail"), but the going was too steep or too hard or we were running out of food or a combination of the three and we decided to take some time off to let the snow melt.

After a month there was still so much snow that I decided to take low routes through the San Juans, into and out of Creede and Lake City, finally arriving into Aspen somewhere around the Fourth of July.

There is no problem with an "early" start, just be prepared for the likely expectations and have a Plan B!

We own and run a wilderness snow school here in South Lake Tahoe, Ca. (since 1982) called Mountain Education that  helps long-distance thru hikers and general outdoor enthusiasts learn how to enjoy, camp, and safely travel in snow (donation-basis only). We do product reviews right from the trail and are producing DVDs that teach over-snow navigation and snow travel skills which will go with a future Snow Guide Book to the PCT. Anyone interested should also visit the Mountain Education Facebook page for photos from past trips.

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
1106A Ski Run Blvd