[Cdt-l] GPS and TOPO! ready files (based on Jonathan's Google, Earth file)

Jim and_or Ginny Owen spiriteagle99 at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 5 11:24:21 CST 2010

Bob -

I didn't/don't see any need for your apology.  Nor did I read that as a "lecture".

Unless one is a trail maintainer FOR THAT PARTICULAR SECTION OF TRAIL, kicking down

cairns is simply rude, crude and inconsiderate.  And carries a high probability of being

dangerous to those who follow.  As you pointed out, the kicker would have

no idea of the purpose of those cairns.  Now would they have any idea of the damage

that taking them down can do.

Many of the cairns on the CDT are not there for hikers, but for skiers.  As such,

they're built tall enough to be visible when the snowpack is five or six feet deep. Other

cairns are built in places where there is no treadway - or where the trail makes unexpected

turns or where the trail crosses large meadow areas.  In the Winds, some of the trails are

marked ONLY by cairns - and taking them down means that only those familiar with the

trail can find, much less follow, the trail.  Then there  are the cairns that mark a water source.

I can think of a couple of small springs that are nearly invisible - but a small duck next to the

trail lets you know where to look for water. They've saved the day a time or two.

The cairns on the CDT are rarely built by hikers - or casual passersby - or even horsemen.

They're generally built with taxpayer money by professional crews working for the Forest

Service BLM or one of the trail organizations.  Which means that a lot of time, money and

effort have been put into building many of them.  Which also means that taking them down

is vandalism and potentially legally actionable.

Are there cairns that are misleading or misplaced?  Damn right.  But none of us here - including

Jack - are qualified to make that decision without a lot more knowledge that we have as hikers.

I've several times been on the trail in whiteout conditions where the ony indication of trail

was the cairns - and at least once I suspect I've followed Jack or one of his cairn-kicking

brethren.  It cost me a LOT of time and a LOT of aggravation, and under different circumstances

could have cost lives.

So - if I find any kicked over cairns on the PCT this year, I'll be looking for Jack - and it

won't be to congratulate him.

Jim

http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/