[Cdt-l] Cdt-l Digest, Vol 33, Issue 6

Dylan Carlson carlsods at gmail.com
Sun Jun 6 12:35:26 CDT 2010

AFAIK, the general rule of thumb is that hiking North past Cubres pass is
not recommended until after June 20.

In 2009, I headed north through this section starting June 25th.  Sure, it
was snowy and wet (very snow and wet), but for the most part, the path was
navigable.  I didn't carry an Ice axe or crampons.

This year, we're looking at slightly lower-than-normal snowpack.  So, a June
15 start is NOT crazy.  You might be happier if you chill in Chama for a
couple zero days and let your blisters heal, but the fact is: the San Juans
will be snowy until late July.  At some point you have to bite the bullet
and hike through snow.

happy trails,

Dylan Carlson
CDT nobo 2009