[Cdt-l] Glacier NP snow conditions

Jonathan Ley jonathan at phlumf.com
Wed Jun 9 12:05:59 CDT 2010

Just a quick note... Be sure to take all trail condition snow reports with a bit of skepticism. Sometimes they're dead-on, but often they're not. A foot of rapidly-melting snow on a short section of trail can get interpreted to "snow; trail is closed and impassible". Sometimes this kind of thing is due to miscommunication, sometimes due to an overabundance of caution on the part of park rangers, etc, who usually formulate their reports for the lowest common denominator... I.e. "Joe tourist", who's outdoor experience is mostly comprised of mowing the lawn.
Even reports from hikers can be quite subjective... It just depends on the perspective of both the reporter and reader. For example, if there was 5ft of snow covering the trail for about 4 miles on either side of passes in GNP, I might report that as no big deal. Others might report that as an impassible condition.
Good luck out there regardless!