[Cdt-l] Got a report from Montana to share

stumpknocker stumpknocker at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 19:25:58 CDT 2010

*Mrs Gorp and I hitched up to Morias Pass this morning to do a 14.8 mile
walk back to East Glacier since our permit to start south from Chief
Mountain isn't until Sunday.

We were only a little over a mile and got to watch a large moose feeding in
Three Bear Pond.

It was at the four mile mark that I had my first two experiences with
grizzlies on this trip. It took only four miles!!  :-)

Mrs Gorp was walking behind me and had just stopped to take a picture of a
glacier lily.  We had been talking, so I didn't expect to see anything.  I
had only walked about 30 to 40 feet and was watching my footing to get
through a wet area when I heard the bear huffing at me.  I looked up to see
a sow grizzly and a year old cub.  The cub was running away and the sow was
charging me.  When the cub ran past the sow, she stopped charging.  She was
about 20 yards from me at that point.

Like I said....that didn't take long!!

*
--