[Cdt-l] Fwd: Contact Border Patrol

Frank Gilliland frankgilliland at comcast.net
Mon Mar 29 11:08:27 CDT 2010

Yep, I called, they didn't want any information from me, I offered my name and what I looked like and even tried to tell them what shoes I would be leaving tracks with, I got a thankx for calling and "click".

Then on my 2nd nite from Crazy Cook, at 2 am two Border Patrol Officers with flood lights on full blast, drove full speed up to my tent (along the well marked trail) interviewing me as if I was doing something wrong.  They kept asking what I was doing.  I kept pointing to the CDT sign and said "I was hiking the CDT and was camping here along the trail".

Strange that they had no knowledge of the trail even though they were "driving" on it with reflective signs every few hundred feet!

They concluded their visit by saying "don't do anything illegal"

Don't get me wrong, I respect the hard job that the Border Patrol does.  But, I felt like a crook in my own Country.

Just remember be very polite and keep answers short with "No Sir" and "Yes Sir".  And as advised earlier, this is not the section of trail to be carrying any kind of questionable substances!

Oh, I also had two low fly "bys" by helicopters, I just waived.....

The trail was fun to walk, and despite the 2am visit, I will defiantly walk it again!!!!

StarMan

I used to contact the BP about hikers in the area so when I would run into one (a BP) I would ask them if they had heard about the hikers - they said no - there is no communication between BP higher echelon and the grunts in the field - don't waste your time - they will know you are in the area by the new footprints they find -

el coyote
Keith
Deming, NM