[Cdt-l] NM Notes

David Spangler davidspangler at hotmail.com
Thu May 20 14:25:26 CDT 2010

So, a bunch of us NOBO's (Flippy, Heiko, Cruisin, Dave, Kelly, Fireball, 30-30) are at or have just left Ghost Ranch.  At this time only four of plan to head straight through Colorado--I will post in several weeks about snow fun.

Some notes from NM in order heading North--no Ley numbers sorry:

- Line of sight trail is good on Crazy Cook route minus small section which is easy to navigate. Sam Hughes keeps the bear boxes stocked and will help you stash water with is vital.

- New CDT route on Crazy Cook section coming off Jack's Peak/Mud Spring--caused confusion and losing way for some.  It appears it should head to the same FR as Deadman Canyon (Ley Route).

- Windmill on Hwy 12 busted (Gila to Pie Town)--makes a 17 mile dry stretch if you avoid stock tanks.

 - New trail from outside Grants to Mount Taylor cut-off; well signed but poorly defined tread.  Keep an eye out because it makes lots of random turns.

- Trickle of water out of busted pipe (on trail between stock pond and stock tank)  between Jones Canyon and Ojo Frio (Grants to Cuba section)--stock tank is dry and stock pond is scary.  Count on a 28 mile dry stretch.

- Grants to Cuba sections seems longer then Wolf/Ley miles by about 5/10 miles with new trail routes. Maybe, I'm in bad shape?

 - New Trail from Hwy 96 to FR 468 (coming to or off San Pedro Parks)--good tread, good marking, good route choice.

- New trail heading North off Skull Bridge--where it goes I don't know since we went to Ghost Ranch.  Who wants to be the one to report back?

Let me know any questions?

Thanks Dave