[Cdt-l] NM Water

bcss at bresnan.net bcss at bresnan.net
Fri Dec 30 18:15:00 CST 2011

Hi Charlie,

BLM didn't want us to list private water sources unless they were right on
the trail and this one is fairly far off. Private improvements on public
land are ok but private improvements on private land are sketchy. Section 23
where the well is located is totally privately owned and you have to walk a
bit over a mile (on a road) through private land to access it.  (The road
may technically be public, though.)

The ranchers we met in that area are truly kind souls and we heard several
stories about hypothermic hikers they have rescued and taken home and fed,
sometimes for days. (2012 early NOBO hikers take note!)  I doubt any of them
mind people getting water, but that probably depends upon the particular
rancher and the impact of the hikers.

We always visited ranches and informed them before we crossed and were
generally well received but a few ranchers got grumpy even though we were
walking on public lands upon which they lease grazing rights.

I will add this discussion to the notes for future mapbooks.  Maybe there is
some way to get some sort of access agreement with this particular rancher.

best wishes,

Jerry Brown