[Cdt-l] Miner-Berry-Goldstone Segment

Jim Wolf mail at cdtsociety.org
Sat Feb 26 21:28:58 CST 2011

After several years of study, the Beaverhead-Deerlodge National Forest
has selected a route for the Minor-Berry-Goldstone segment of the CDT
along the Montana-Idaho border (our Big Hole Segment 4). The Trail would
retain its current alignment south as far as Berry Creek. Next, a
realignment to the Jahnke Creek drainage would eliminate several miles
of roads along the interim route. After climbing to the Darkhorse Lake
Road (passing half a mile below Jahnke Lake), the CDT would then track
the Continental Divide to Goldstone Pass.

The Society is reviewing the Forest's decision and supporting
environmental assessment, with particular attention to the statement
that the decision "does not change or close motorized travel routes."
This apparently applies even to portions of the Trail which the Forest
itself recognizes as "no longer open to motorized use based on the
[2009] BDNF Forest Plan" and the EA's Table 1, which shows that there
would be 0 [zero] miles of CDNST Open to Motorized on the selected
alternative route.

The Forest documents can be accessed at the Beaverhead-Deerlodge
National Forest website at http://www.fs.fed.usda.gov/goto/bdnf/projects
[or, we found, by googling the forest by name and opening the listing of
all projects (the Schedule of Proposed Actions)].

Upon completion of its review, the Society may file an appeal of the
decision. A 45-day filing period started upon publication of legal
notice in the Montana Standard newspaper in Butte. We are tracking down
that publication date to ensure that an appeal, if filed, is timely. We
welcome CDT-L readers' comments and suggestions.

Jim Wolf