[Cdt-l] Hitchhiking in Idaho -- followup

Jonathan Ley jonathan at phlumf.com
Wed Jul 27 14:18:27 CDT 2011

I can't understand how these laws are constitutional. We have a right to
free speech & free assembly in this country, and that's what hitching is
- asking for a ride (speech) and getting a ride (assembly). I could
possibly understand hitchhiking being made illegal for safety reasons.
But, then you'd have to make it illegal to walk on the shoulder of any
road as well.

I wonder if you could make a sign that said something like:
I am not asking for a ride to X...
But might consider it if you offered.

That might technically comply with the law ;-). But, good luck
explaining that to an officer... they generally don't appreciate clever
people.

There's more about this here:
http://www.digihitch.com/usa428.html

State specific info here:

Montana - somewhat restricted, but not bad:
http://www.digihitch.com/usa133.html

Idaho - illegal:
http://www.digihitch.com/usa330.html

Wyoming - illegal:
http://www.digihitch.com/usa89.html

Colorado - no problem:
http://www.digihitch.com/usa324.html

New Mexico - a little restricted but not a real problem:
http://www.digihitch.com/usa92.html

-Jonathan