[Cdt-l] Hitchhiking in Idaho -- followup

Will Hiltz will.hiltz at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 15:04:51 CDT 2011

The rights to free speech and assembly are not absolute, things like
incitement to imminent violence are not allowed even though we believe in
free speech. Same for assembly. You are talking about the federal
constitution here... state constitutions tend to have the same protections
as the bill of rights, but that is not necessarily true in all states. For
example in Oregon, the state constitution's freedom of expression provisions
are construed to be more expansive than the bill of rights, which allows the
most strip clubs per capita in the US in the portland metro area, among
other things.

States get wide leeway to choose how to govern themselves, particularly in
law-enforcement type matters. This is in the Constitution. I won't get into
the standard of review owed to state exercises of police power when they are
alleged to violate the federal constitution, but suffice it to say that
restrictions are most definitely allowed and the standard of review is very
deferential. The rights you speak of are nowhere near absolute. The citizens
of Idaho to a large degree choose the laws they will live under and in this
case, they have chosen no hitching. Idaho doesn't "have" to ban walking
along the side of the road any less than they "have" to allow any number of
number of things banned by ordinance, state law and the like. I suggest
moving to Idaho and amending its laws through the state assembly!

Easy