[Cdt-l] Hitchhiking in Idaho -- followup

Will Hiltz will.hiltz at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 16:32:26 CDT 2011

Jonathan-

A constitutional right to hitchhike! This must be contained in one of those
penumbras...

But seriously, yes you are quite correct about the interplay between state
and federal constitutions-- the bill of rights sets the "floor" of minimum
rights that states may go above but not below.

However, your conception of what constitutes rights under the first
amendment is a little off the rails here.  As you concede, speech (and
assembly) may be restricted, so then the question then becomes whether the
restriction in question is reasonable in light of the desired ends and the
expansiveness of the restriction contemplated (whether the restriction is
"over broad" and not "narrowly tailored".)  State perogatives are viewed as
especially compelling when they are dealing with areas that have
traditionally been within the purview of the individual states, and this
would definitely include police-type powers as well as provisions concerning
the health and welfare of its citizens.

Your conception of things being presumptively constitutional if they don't
"infringe upon other people's rights" may be pleasing intellectually and
make a sort of intuitive sense, but it is just not a distinction that is
drawn in the jurisprudence. Which is why nobody would bother to challenge
this law in the federal courts... because it would easily be upheld in light
of all the restrictions that we both accept as a matter of course in our
daily lives and that courts have ruled acceptable given the competing
interests involved.

I spend so much time on this not because I personally disagree with your
substantive position-- I think we should be able to hitch too.  But there is
this tendency amongst lay people (or maybe LEY people... see what I did
there?!) to identify things they dislike or find unfair and assert they are
"unconstitutional." The way to change these sorts of things is through the
state legislature and convincing your fellow citizens that is it a bad idea.
 Because, yes, it probably IS constitutional.