[Cdt-l] Hitchhiking in Idaho -- followup

Jonathan Ley jonathan at phlumf.com
Wed Jul 27 21:17:53 CDT 2011

 From what I can tell, laws banning hitchhiking are usually justified as
a matter of safety. It can be distracting to see someone along the side
of the road who is trying to interact with speeding cars. And it could
be dangerous to the hitchhiker. But, in that case, a whole host of
similar activities should be illegal – hailing a cab, advertising a
charity car wash, or even walking along a road. There are safe ways to
hitchhike. Standing on a sidewalk with a sign is perfectly safe, but in
Idaho, it's illegal.

I think the real reason hitchhiking is banned is that people in
positions of power look down on the activity as uncivil and usually
undertaken by less desirable people – poor & homeless people… the kind
of people they think are more likely to be involved in criminal
activities... the kind of people they’d rather not see in their
community... and the kind of people who have no real power or voice.

To me, this is akin to criminalizing poverty. That’s really why I find
it so offensive. There are plenty of people who can’t afford to travel
any other way. And for people like CDT hikers, it's simply the most
practical way to get around and actually complete a thru-hike.

In many ways, hitchhiking is similar to panhandling. It’s an act of a
person asking another person to volunteer assistance & something of
value. Our Federal courts have ruled repeatedly that panhandling in and
of itself is a form of free speech protected under the First Amendment
of the U.S. Constitution. I couldn’t find an example case where an
outright panhandling ban was appealed all the way to the US supreme
court. But there are a number of rulings in lower courts which were not
appealed, or not heard by a higher court. In any event – the laws were
stuck down by the courts. Ongoing arguments now pertain to bans of
“aggressive panhandling”… (likewise, aggressive hitchhiking would be out
of bounds), or panhandling in certain locations.

Our government should be able to regulate hitchhiking, perhaps limiting
the type of sign one could use, how far from the edge of the road one
needs to be, or even on which roads one could hitchhike… provided those
regulations aren’t overbearing to the point of an effective ban.

If I’m standing in a public space, I ought to be able to converse with
my fellow citizens in any way I please, provided it doesn’t amount to
harassment. I ought to be able to express my political views. I ought to
be able to ask people for money. I ought to be able to tell people they
need to read a certain book. And I ought to be able to hold a sign that
indicates I need a ride somewhere.

-Jonathan