[Cdt-l] Canister fuel available in Glacier Natl Park stores?

nathanael lintner nglintner at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 08:53:45 CDT 2011

Ralph -

I am originally from East Glacier and I agree with Jim. Email Mark Howser.
East Glacier is a very small town (pop. 300) and thus has a very small store
with a limited selection. Mark, however is an AT thruhiker and is very
friendly and interested in other thruhikers. I am sure he would try to have
something you need in his store if given advanced notice.

Another point of note: While the East Glacier General store is a small
buisiness run by a friendly thruhiker, all the stores WITHIN Glacier Park
plus the Glacier Park Lodge in East Glacier are run by a large unfriendly
Arizona-based corporation called "Glacier Park Incorporated." Their business
is mostly selling tacky overpriced made-in-china souvenirs. In spite of the
fact that the adjacent Blackfoot Indian Reservation has a 50-70%
unemployment rate (not a typo) Glacier Park Incorporated mostly hires
temporary guest workers from the former soviet bloc who know nothing about
hiking/Glacier or gear. I could go on and on.......

So before I go to far with my Rant let me just sum things up: In the Glacier
Park section, deal with Mark Howser but email him in advance because his
store is really small and avoid businesses run by Glacier Park Incorporated.

Nathanael Lintner