[Cdt-l] Miller Fire relo

Andrew James longhiker.pct at gmail.com
Wed May 11 16:15:04 CDT 2011

I just finished that segment.  It was pretty hot coming up from the road but
we found some water up high past Reeds Peak then at Black Canyon where we
walked down the side trail a short distance and found some pools where we
camped.  The spring at Diamond Peak didn't look too good but we probably
could have gotten something.  We found some good pools at Chloride Creek but
the creek itself wasn't running.  There is a kind of water trap thing just
after crossing the road going to the lookout in Segment 11 which has some
not so nice water in it but we filtered some.  We stopped at Highway 59 and
came back here to Albuquerque so I don't know about anything north of that.
There wasn't a lot of water but it was enough if you were careful and
stocked up.  It sure beats bushwhacking through a forest fire. The hike is
pretty spectacular - it's right on top of the divide most of the way and
that's what the "D" in CDT is all about. If anyone has been north of Hwy 59
I'd like to hear about that.

longhiker