[Cdt-l] mileage

bcss at bresnan.net bcss at bresnan.net
Mon May 16 09:29:49 CDT 2011

Something to consider - The access to Twin Lakes  via Ute Creek is about 11
miles and there is a tricky early season river crossing on the Rio Grande.
It is only 17.2 miles if you stay on the CDT to Stony Pass which is very
close to Silverton. That is about a 6 mile difference and if you are section
hiking you wouldn't have to return to Twin Lakes again sometime to continue.

If you are going before July you should take an ice axe and microspikes for
steep side slopes. (Like Knife Edge.)

This should be a good year for NOBO's to complete the South San Juan and the
Weminuche.  Cumbres Pass and Wolf Creek both had below normal snowfall.  A
little over normal for the Silverton area.  200% of normal around Steamboat
but that should be gone before anybody gets there.

best wishes,

Jerry Brown

 <mailto:bcss at bresnan.net> mailto:bcss at bresnan.net

www.bearcreeksurvey.com