[Cdt-l] water treatment

thomas hogeboom thogeboom at fairpoint.net
Sat Apr 14 13:45:18 CDT 2012

Water treatment on the CDT is like water treatment anywhere else. You
have to kill or remove protozoa, bacteria, and viruses or risk
potentially serious gastrointestinal illness. You'll hear lots of
opinions and some people will tell you that drinking water straight from
the source is fine. Trust me, those people don't have a (competent)
background in microbiology.

Personally, I like filtration (to remove bacteria and protozoa) combined
with passing the water over an iodine resin (to inactivate viruses).
There's no waiting and no taste issues.

The Hog (former microbiologist)