[Cdt-l] Wifi only device on trail?

Dan Bedore mr_dan_bedore at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 27 11:35:00 CDT 2012

I have been using an iPod touch, which is wifi only, not a phone, for two years of almost continuous hiking, at times on trails much more remote than the CDT. I find free wifi in the tiniest of towns. I've never paid for a connection, and I can't think of any town I could not find free wifi service. Motels, cafes, even tiny, remote stores have wifi. I'm now on the Colorado CDT and easily found wifi in Silverton, Salida, Leadville, Copper Mountain, and Silverthorne, where I'm writing right now.

I have an app that lets me edit and upload my website, but if you use something like trailjournals, you don't need that. In every town I download the 10 day weather forecast, usually for a town a few days out. I check my emails, and upload my site. The iPod is super handy, weighs a few ounces, and since it's not a phone, has no monthly fee. I've loaded a great bird guide (ibird) and a few other natural history apps. I can type my journal every night, and upload it in towns.

I won't rave on any more, but I'm totally satisfied with my iPod.

Dan Bedore
www.bedore.org