[Cdt-l] CDTA closing its doors

Teresa Martinez Teresa at cdtrail.org
Fri Jan 13 15:10:07 CST 2012

Thank you all for all your notes and concern. Please see the official
notice from CDTA's Board of Directors.  It's a sad day for all....

Notice to the Supporters of the Continental Divide Trail Alliance

The Continental Divide Trail Alliance (CDTA) was formed in 1995 to
assist federal land management agencies in the completion, management
and protection of the Continental Divide National Scenic Trail
("Trail").  Since that time, CDTA volunteers have dedicated nearly $7
million worth of labor while individuals, foundations, and businesses
committed millions to the effort.  As of 2011, of the 2,268 miles of the
Trail completed CDTA volunteers are responsible for 525 of those miles,
and to date only 832 miles remain to be constructed.

     Increasing pressures from development in the West, rising land
costs, and challenges with the longstanding down cycle in the economy
threaten the completion of the Trail.  Despite the strong level of
financial support from so many of you, overall contributions and other
revenues in recent years have significantly declined. These revenues are
the life blood of nonprofit organizations like the CDTA.

Consequently, the CDTA Board of Directors has made the very difficult
and painful decision to cease operations of the CDTA.  The financial
condition of the organization has been unstable and deteriorating for a
number of years. We have not been able to raise the necessary financial
resources to sustain the continued operations of the organization.

We are taking the actions necessary to complete our outstanding
contracts for work on behalf of the Trail. We are retaining the services
of our committed and outstanding staff to meet our current obligations,
to the extent financially possible, as we complete closing down CDTA
over the next few weeks.

This is a sad day.  But the Trail is still here, and it continues to
inspire us all.  We are confident this inspiration will lead people to
start a new and stronger organization to continue the work on the Trail.

The Board and dedicated staff of the CDTA would like to thank each and
every one of you for your tremendous commitment and support of the
Continental Divide National Scenic Trail and the CDTA. We are truly
humbled by the selfless actions of so many and hopefully this will
inspire another group of people to continue the mission of CDTA.

Stay Tuned . . .

Teresa Ana Martinez

Director of Trail Management Operations

Continental Divide Trail Alliance