[Cdt-l] Resupply on the CDT

Moynihan mary.moynihan at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 09:50:40 CST 2012

This game is fun, I'll join too.

I agree with Gadget on the overwhelming stack of paper that your stare
wearily at and begin to feel beads of perspiration roll off your temple as
you try to fit it into a gallon size ziplock. I also will add, watch out
for paper cuts when your sitting in town folding each map in half, unless
of course you are crazy enough to fold *hundreds* of pages in half prior to
the hike.... which I don't recommend because a) you might develop carpal
tunnel and b) I didn't have a clue how I wanted to it to go together until
I actually got to the particular resupply. I found yogi's handbook very
useful, but I did have several questions about this bulging stack of paper
and how to organize it, which I learned as I went, unlike her PCT
explanation of organization which covered every detail.

I think if/when I hike again I'd put my maps in all my boxes. Just make
sure you send them early enough as some hikers sent boxes to places too
late and didn't receive it in time. Being priority mail they could have it
forwarded, but..... If you're a solo hiker you don't have anyone else's
maps to rely on and don't expect to see hikers for the entire duration of
trail. (After Salida, CO I saw all of three NOBO thru hikers... and only in
passing!)
Also, always nicely ask the PO a second time if they come back empty handed
the first. Then, if it is still not found, ask when the next shipment comes
in, walk away and come back when another person is at the desk. Ask again.
Don't be the jerk of a hiker who makes the PO hate thru hikers because your
an ass!

*Doc Campbell's, NM: *(which I have forwarded to Pagosa Springs due to
fire. Priority will do this for free.)
*Pie Town, NM:* Yup, I'd do this again, but I'd break up my maps for NM
here.... a month's worth of maps if heavy!
*Ghost Ranch, NM:* food.
*Chama, NM: *Maps, ice axe, cold weather gear.
*Salida, CO:* Maps.... good place to send as it's a bomber place to stay
and take a moment to breath and drink a refreshing brew at Amica's! If your
lucky you'll be able to attend the Whitwater FIBARK event, but catch it at
the tail end or the hostel will be booked! (I arrived on 19th-20th, June)
*Rawlins, WY:* Maps. Least favorite town, luckily PO is right on the route.
*Atlantic City, Wy: *Food. This is a neat town and only a couple miles off
the trail. You can send to the Grubstake store/bar/restaurant or the
saloon. You can also sleep in a teepee. I'd send my maps here too, just for
the hell of it.
*Macks Inn, ID: *There's food here, but expensive. If/when I do it again I
wouldn't take this route. The Centennials looked gorgeous!
*Lima, MT: F*ood! No resupply, great hiker box at motel.
*Leadore, MT: *Maps, food.
*Benchmark, MT:* Maps, food!
*East Glacier, MT: *Food, there is a couple resupply options, but expensive.

speedstick

--
*To read about Mary and her passion for long distance hiking visit*
http://www.marriedtothetrail.com/