[Cdt-l] CDT thru Glacier NP

Charlie Thorpe charliethorpe at att.net
Mon Jul 9 14:58:41 CDT 2012

Hello All -

R Smith said:

> It's not clear what road walking between Marias Pass and Two Medicine has to do with getting permits within the park unless it is to just get to the ranger station quicker. No reason not to hike the CDT from Marias Pass into East Glacier -- which you can do in a day -- have a good meal and rest, then take a shuttle to Two Medicine to deal with your permits. Getting through the park will probably take longer than you like, given available campsites, but you should be able to come up with something decent.

I am thinking that the backcountry reservations guy was assuming that it would take longer than one day to hike from Marias Pass to East Glacier...and the resulting night spent in the NP getting to East Glacier without a permit would be illegal.

Another person has suggested that we get a permit over the phone before we enter the NP and then pick up the paper when we get to Two Medicine.  Gotta remember to carry a quarter for that pay phone at Marias Pass <g>.

Does anybody know if we can pull a cell tower at Marias Pass?

- Charlie