[Cdt-l] unilateral bovine concessions

Jonathan Ley jonathan at phlumf.com
Fri Jul 20 21:15:35 CDT 2012

I know what you mean... but I figure most of us hikers are interlopers
on the local ranches, and despite whatever common sense we might have,
most of us haven't worked a ranch, so who knows. Try telling a cowboy
that you know more about anything having to do with their job/life and
see how that goes.  Personally, I think a lot of these things are
exceptions that become the rule - i.e. one time a mother abandoned its
calf because it got spooked, so therefore, never spook a cow or else...
(similarly, one time a hiker bathed in a stock pond, therefore all
hikers apparently bathe in stock ponds). It's just human nature for
these kinds of things to take hold, and fighting it will just keep one
frustrated.

I figure it's a pretty small inconvenience to at least try one's best to
conform to the local customs. And that's kind of how I see these things
- as customs... there are all kinds of seemingly odd customs throughout
the world - based on who knows what, but as a traveler, you just have to
suck it up and play nice to avoid offending the locals.

Anyway, the comment was mostly intended for a stretch of route where
you're headed on a quasi-public road (aka a public road) through private
land. I have another note on another map in that area with some
information from the BLM about what your rights are on BLM land...
basically, that the people grazing cattle on public lands don't own the
land even if they act like they do.

-Jonathan