[Cdt-l] Southbound Gear

R Smith ronyon at comcast.net
Thu May 24 23:15:01 CDT 2012

I agree with Voyageur that a GPS is probably the way you will want to go, as
there are so many unmarked junctions on the CDT not to mention going cross
country. If you do take a GPS you should decide on how you want to use it -
whether to load it up with waypoints from bearcreeksurvey.com or other
source and follow these, or take along the Jonathan Ley maps and learn how
to navigate using their inverted compass rose  (which is what I have done.)
You can also take a GPS just to get you to a last known 'found' location if
you get off track.  Whichever method you use, Glacier Park gives you an
opportunity to hone your GPS skills as, except for still-snowed-in sections,
the trails there are easy to follow and you can practice without (too much)
fear of getting lost.  The Bob will  be your test.

You may not want to take a bear canister, at least initially. Check with the
park service before you leave to see if there is any place where you will
need one.  Otherwise, every campsite has a place to hang your food. The Bob
also has adequate trees for hanging food.

Lastly, make sure your compass is round, not rectangular. The latter have
been known to cause intestinal blockage in grizzlies.

Ron