[Cdt-l] Get all the hoods into the woods ASAP!!!

Sage Clegg sageclegg at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 5 11:12:43 CST 2013

> Hi all!
This is a really interesting discussion about who hikes & who doesn't, and I would love to see our mostly white, mostly middle class hiking bubble become more permeable to all walks of people.
    For years before I discovered through hiking I worked for 7 years for Outward Bound, and 5 years before that for various other outdoor education schools and programs. I had students from all classes, ages, and races, but the vast majority of the students who enrolled on the longer courses were white and came from families who could afford to foot the bill for "summer camp". Every student I have ever had, from the 57 year old business executive to the 13 year old "juvinile delinquent" on scholarship from his state, deserved to be in wild places. They all learned amazing things about the world around them and of course, about themselves. Their eyes were opened to a new way of life that we thru hikers know well, freedom
     My students could