[Cdt-l] CDT Integration

Mike Cunningham hikermiker at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 6 11:06:36 CST 2013

This brings up an interesting point. Where the trails are located has a lot to do with who uses them. I live in Western Connecticut near NY state. I am located less than 1/2 hour from parts of the AT in both NY & CT. I also venture into areas of NY reachable by train by people from NY City.
This applies to day hiking, not backpacking. I almost never see people of color backpacking. There are many Hispanic people who camp out in state campgrounds, some of them venture onto the trails. I frequently see people of Black, Indian, Japanese, and Chinese heritage dayhiking. I also hear people speaking foreign languages.

Urban trails or trail accessible by urban people will get them out there. Obviously this will not help the CDT.

hm