[Cdt-l] Alcohol Stove fuel

R Smith ronyon at comcast.net
Mon Jan 28 18:24:04 CST 2013

I've been using alcohol stoves for years with pretty much the same
experience as Charlie. The hardware store denatured alcohol is hit and miss
as far as quality, not only from brand to brand, but even batch to batch
within a brand. On the other hand, Yellow HEET has always performed well for
me -- never any soot. So, at re-supply towns, I always head for the NAPA
store or a gas station for some yellow HEET rather than to the Ace hardware
store for brush cleaner. Of course, for the lack of anything else available
in town, it's brush cleaner.

That being said, if you are mailing out your fuel, go ahead and buy a gallon
of S-L-X fuel, just test it out for quality before mailing it out. And, by
the way, I had the same bad experience as Charlie with the 'sunnyside' brand
-- it turned my Evernew pot to not-so-new looking.

Ron