[Cdt-l] Hugo and Carole Mumm

David Mullins davirginia at aol.com
Tue Jan 29 21:34:22 CST 2013

It was with great sadness that I read of the decision of Hugo and Carole to discontinue their practice of hosting CDT thru hikers in Grants. I am one of the many hikers they helped this past year. In fact, I can unreservedly say that their kindness and hospitality saved my hike this past May, when I came down with an infected knee after a fall in the lava fields south of Grants. (Yes, I am the hiker in the photo referred to earlier in this thread of Hugo performing an emergency "amputation" with his hand saw!)

These wonderful people housed me and fed me and nursed me back to health over a very difficult week. I can never repay them for their kindness.

I feel incredibly blessed that I did my thru hike in 2012, and was able stay at the Mumms'. I know that they will continue to assist hikers in a very valuable way with their water caches, but their reduced level of involvement will leave the trail a poorer place.

Thank you, again, Hugo and Carole. You will forever be, in my book, Trail Angels without peer.

Super Dave