[Cdt-l] CC to Burro Mtns

Trekker4 at aol.com Trekker4 at aol.com
Sat Jan 11 08:25:13 CST 2014

At least to the Burro Mtns, a few mi N of  Lordsburg, the CDT is in pure
Chihuahuan Desert; if you like deserts, as I do,  don't miss it. Here's a map
link:
http://cdri.org/desert-explorer/the-chihuahuan-desert-2/chihuahuan-desert-ma
p/
CDRI is the Chihuahuan Desert Research Institute, about 10 mi from where I
live. "It should be inherently obvious to the discerning student that..."
most  of the Chihuahuan is in Mexico. It's a huge desert.
    Hiking Big Bend NP in early spring, when the Big  Bend Bluebonnet is in
bloom is pretty damn nice. (The BBB is 1 of 5 varieties of  Bluebonnet, all
5 the TX State Flower; but the Big Bend one has very tall bloom
stalks--I've seen them to 4 feet tall.)

    The drive to CC is 30 mi one way from Hachita,  about 10 on pavement,
and takes up to 2 hours, as I recall; I've driven it once,  in 09 after
ADZ...when I took Tika and San Gabriel down there, and ridden it  once, in '10
when I sectioned from CC to the Gila's. Except after a rain quite  possibly,
one only needs high clearance for the drive, and as someone said, a  bit of
throttle in a couple places.

Bob "Trekker"  Brewer