[Cdt-l] Gila River

Matthew Edwards iceaxehikes at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 21:18:31 CST 2014

I am a little confused.
Don't remember there being much trail through the Gila.
A little bit on the 'islands' between the bends in the river.
For the most part hiking the Gila route was crossing a gravel bar, cross
the river, cross another gravel bar, cross the river..
I would watch the spring runoff the weeks before my hike and make the
decision based on that.

The Gila river is one of the wonders of the Earth for sure.
Melted wax cliffs.
Box canyons with 90 degree walls (think Wyle E. Coyote)
The hot springs.
The cliff dwellings.

I liked the Gila and everything to do with it very much.
Even though the cold water numbed my legs, the sand chafed my crotch, and
the river crossings were exhausting.. it was worth it.

A crystal cold river flowing through a desert like canyon landscape.
No route finding neccesary, just follow the river until you are tired and
fall asleep in the sand and then wake up and do it again.

The Gila River, New Mexico.

-iceaxe