[Cdt-l] Lake City hostel

Karl Gottshalk kgottshalk at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 11:49:52 CST 2016

>From the CDT16 group on Facebook, posted by Peter Nesbitt:

Greetings from Lake City, Hinsdale County, San Juan Mountains, Colorado! We
would like to invite you to visit Lake City on your CDT hike this year. Our
HIKER FRIENDLY town is located approximately 15 miles north of Spring Creek
Pass on CO149, and is easily accessible via daily shuttle (FREE), rides
with local Trail Angels (FREE), or hitching during the summer months.

My wife and I own and operate The High Country Market, a small grocery
store that specializes in fresh produce, deli sandwiches, fresh baked
breads, and of course -- HIKER FOOD!

You will find the following once you arrive in Lake City: 2 grocery stores,
6 restaurants, 3 bars, a library with WI-FI, 2 coffee shops with WI-FI,
U.S. Post Office, 2 liquor stores, a laundromat, a small mountain movie
theater, 2 motels and 1 hostel, a bunch of cabins to rent, tent camping,
stream and lake fishing, Jeep and ATV rentals, a small museum, road and
trail access to 5 "Fourteeners", gift shops, and several other family-owned
businesses.

My wife and I work with "Lucky" at the Ravens RestHostel to schedule and
coordinate a FREE shuttle to/from Lake City and Spring Creek Pass during
the summer hiking season. The shuttle specifics are normally coordinated
just prior to the season, but past years saw a shuttle leaving Lake City at
noon, arriving at Spring Creek Pass around 12:30, then returning to Lake
City as soon as everyone is loaded and ready to go.

If you are an "early riser", I can often take hikers to Spring Creek Pass
around 6:00 a.m. This service is FREE, but must be coordinated in advance
and around my deliveries and other employee schedules.

If the hike is wearing you down, Lake City is only 55 miles from Gunnison
where you may catch a bus or plane back to civilization.

If you are sick or injured, we have a medical center that is staffed with a
Doctor, Nurse Practitioner, Physician's Assistant, and office staff. Meds
can be prescribed if you see someone at the clinic, but prescriptions can
NOT be filled in Lake City. X-rays can be performed, woulds irrigated and
stitched, and braces supplied for fractures. The staff is fantastic!

We quit our corporate and government jobs to come live and work in Lake
City, and we think that you will enjoy a ZERO DAY (or two) in our little
corner of the San Juan Mountains.

Come see us!

Peter and Patty