[pct-l] Pygmy's PCT View

Trail Pygmy trailpygmy at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 15 15:36:54 CDT 2006

For what it's worth... I think that ya'll need to "Cowboy Up!". It's nice
and all to have trail angels/devils do swell things for ya but to be so
dependent on them is weak. I was raised in a predominantly racist state
(Mississippi) back in the 60's and 70's. Many places I've gone to also are
racist... some were not. My point is that I have become accustomed to NOT
being welcome. It doesn't bother me. It's the way it is. Last year on the
trail I came across it on an occasion or two. Mild but obvious. There are
not really many colored folks on the PCT. I'm an anomaly. But I did run
across some really awesome folks that were genuinely caring and non-bias.
The Andersons and Ziggys were wonderful. Several hikers were pretty
blatantly biased toward my skin color. They even tried to charge their room
and meals on my credit card. Lame! But this is America. And we are still
struggling with these issues of ignorance.

The PCT is a wilderness experience. Perhaps I should say, was a wilderness
experience. Ignorance comes in all skin colors. Education and understanding
take effort. The PCT is a wonderful teacher. Perhaps a few less trail
angels/devils and a few less welcoming towns are just what are needed.
Perhaps people of "fair" skin color can get a taste of what many "colored"
folk have lived with all their lives.

Now if we can just lobby fer them handrails and info boxes... perhaps
wheelchair access. Really now. Cowboy Up!!!

Pygmy