[pct-l] Burned area recovery

Richard Woods wpsnotebook at charter.net
Tue Aug 15 17:22:09 CDT 2006

Well, right in some cases.
If there is not much of a fuel load around the tree, then a grass or
brush fire just 'takes out the trash' so to speak, passing through
quickly without heating the tree and the ground too deeply. Plants
and critters can survive underground or by getting out of the way.
You'll see blackened tree trunks for a few years, but most of the
burn scars will disappear within a year or two. The up side is the
incredible flowers the following spring, and the speed with which the
ecology springs back to life with all the added nutrients suddenly
returned to the soil.
But.
Here comes the big qualification.
When fire does NOT take out the trash often enough (chance or fire
suppression) the fuel load gets heavy enough to create a really hot,
intense fire, such as crown fires in heavy timber. That type of fire
is death to a forest for decades to come. That is the kind of fire
that sterilizes the ground and kills the root systems of conifers
which are generally shallowly rooted.  Everything burns. Every seed,
every critter, every root, even the soil bacteria.
A classic example is the burn area just south of Reds Meadow. You
pass through an area of black tree trunks for about a mile. That fire
burned decades ago, and the area is only now being repopulated by
brush and grasses. There is almost no vegetable matter in the soil,
except what has blown in from the outside. Therefore, no soil
bacteria, nothing to hold moisture in, no way for a normal forest
ecology to survive except in little spots where enough decaying plant
material has gathered in one spot to support a mini-oasis in that
moonscape.

I don't feel bad about natural fires passing through, no matter how
much it disrupts my personal plans. If I plan to be in an area when a
fire is passing through, that's just the luck of the draw. We should
get nervous when a fire doesn't pass through an area every decade or so.
Rick